This quilt has been in the works for over a year. If you follow me on Facebook, you've seen many work-in-progress photos. It didn't take a year to make, more like a week, but I never seemed able to work on it without interruption. It doesn't help that I'm not very experienced with quilting yet, and I made this one up as I went along. Pretty gutsy for my second quilt ever!
I think it turned out quite lovely, and my son loves it, which is all that matters. It makes me smile every time I walk into his room seeing something mama-made getting daily use and love.
On to the photos...
This started with several half-yard cuts of fabric from one designer's line. Most of the fabrics were from this line and automatically coordinated. All except for the tiny anchors are from Michael Miller (Ahoy Matey and Sarah Jane's Out to Sea for Michael Miller); the tiny anchors is now out of print. The map at the center started the blocks and I worked my way out from there, measuring as I went. The quilt consists of three main panels...a top and bottom patchwork panel (with very large patches), and a center panel. The top and bottom are arranged in reverse order, so they mirror each other.
The back is a blue flannel from Joann and another orange rope print from the same designer.
Here are some close-up images of the front:
The boys playing pirate--my absolute favorite.
To quilt, I simply hand tied every few inches with embroidery floss. Not being an experienced quilter, and already having spent a year making it, I didn't have the patience to try machine or even hand quilting. This works. The binding was attached by machine, but in the future I want to try hand-binding. Everyone tells me it's a meditative experience--hand-binding a quilt. Maybe for my daughter's quilt and another nautical baby quilt which are both on deck next, I can tackle that. And hopefully have it finished in less than a year!
As co-owner of Stitchery in Portsmouth, RI, I teach sewing classes to children and adults. Welcome to my blog Dancing Threads RI.